1. Expansion The power of a brand is inversely proportional to its scope
2. Contraction A brand becomes stronger when you narrow its focus
3. Publicity The birth of a brand is achieved with publicity, not advertising
4. Advertising Once born, a brand needs advertising to stay healthy
5.The Word A brand should strive to own a word in the mind of the consumer
6.Credentials The crucial ingredient in the success of any brand is its claim to authenticity
7. Quality Quality is important, but brands are not built on quality alone
8. The Category A leading brand should promote the cateogry, not the brand
9. The Name In the long run a brand is nothing more than a name.
10. Extensions The easiest way to destroy a brand is to put its name on everything
11. Fellowship In order to build the category, a brand should welcome other brands
12. The Generic One of the fastest routes to failure is giving a brand a generic name
13. The Company Brands are brands. Companies are companies. There is a difference
14. Subbrands What branding builds, subbranding can destroy
15. Siblings There is a time and a place to launch a second brand
16. Shape A brand’s logotype should be designed to fit the eyes. Both eyes.
17. Color A brand should use a color that is the opposite of its major competitor’s
18. Borders There are no barriers to global branding. A brand should know no borders.
19. Consistency A brand is not built overnight. Success is measured in decades, not years.
20. Change Brands can be changed, but only infrequently and only very carefully 21. Mortality No brand will live forever. Euthanasia is often the best solution 22. Singularity The most important aspect of a brand is its single-mindedness
by Al Reis